Correo institucional Instagram TwitterFacebook

Information in English

Admission to the University

Admission to Universidad Centroamericana “José Simeón Cañas” (UCA)
There are four ways to join the University:

  • As a new college student.
  • As a transferred student.
  • As a returning student.
  • As a listener.

Admission process for new students

This is the process you have to follow if you are going to a university for the first time. You have to apply to an admissions process that includes Selection Tests and Pre-university Course.

The results of the Selection Tests are the ones that determine whether the students are admitted to the Pre-university Course; and this in turn will determine the academic workload that each student can take in the first semester.
To enter the first semester, which begins in March, the selection tests are carried out in November and the Pre-university Course begin in January and ends in February. To enter the second semester, which begins in August, the selection trials are held in April or May and the Pre-university Course begin in Jun and ends in July of this year.

The requirements are:

Selection tests:

  • Present a high school diploma or its equivalent abroad (original and photocopy to compare).
  • If the diploma was obtained abroad, it must be authenticated and validated in the their corresponding foreign country office, and in second term must be authenticated and validated by the Ministry of Education of El Salvador, where they will ask for a birth certificate and school grades or grades of their corresponding foreign country authenticated.
  • Complete the online application form for new students at in “Admission” and follow the steps that are listed there.
  • Present a printout of the email that your registration is approved online.
  • Submit a photograph of 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm.
  • Pay the registration fee for the Selection Tests ($36.20 USD).
  • Perform Selection Tests: 
    Psychological skills and Academic skills and specific knowledge.

Pre-university Course:

  • Have completed the Selection Tests satisfactorily.
  • Pay the registration fee for the Pre-university Course ($75.00).
  • Attend the Pre-university Course, which covers two areas of study:
    • Studying and Learning Strategies, for all students.
    • Basic Mathematics for students in the School of Economics and Business and the School of Engineering and Architecture.
    • Writing Techniques and Oral Expression for students in the School of Social Sciences and Humanities.

The marks obtained in the Pre-university Course will determine the academic workload (number and type of classes) that each student can take in the first semester. It is therefore important to have the best possible performance in that course.

Vocational Diagnosis:

The Admission Center at UCA Performs Psychological Tests for ninth grade or high school students to complete the Vocational Diagnosis and to identify

  • Their best skills and their main vocational interests;
  • High school or college where you can get a better education according to your interests;
  • The profession in which they will be more successful, according to their abilities and vocational preferences.

Remember the following:

  • Choose the date on which you can make your Career Diagnosis Tests.
  • Look up for the cost of the Diagnosis Tests by calling the admissions office of the admissions Center (503) 22106644.
  • Sleep at least 8 continuous hours the night before the test administration.
  • Have a healthy and complete breakfast on the day of the examination.
  • Arrive on time the day you choose to take the test.

If interested, select the most convenient date for your Vocational Diagnose Examination:








4, 11, 18 y 25


1, 8, 15, 22 y 29

5 y 26

3, 10, 17, 24 y 31

7, 14, 28

5, 12, 19, 26

To get more information of this psychological service, visit the Admission Office, located next to the Central Administration Building, or call at 2210-6644 or 2210-6600, ext. 248. You can also write to

As a transferred student

The University admits students to transfer credits from other local or foreign universities, provided they are legally recognized.

You may apply to enter the University by transfer credits if you are a college student who has already completed credits in other institutions of higher education, whether at home or abroad, legally authorized and with an approved curriculum.

The requirements are:

  • To have completed at least four courses at the University of origin.
  • Fill out an application for transfer credits and pay the appropriate fee in the Treasury office.
  • Submit a certification of grades of all subjects taken at other universities. If foreign, the certificate must be duly authenticated by the Ministry of Education and the Foreign Affairs Department.
  • Present the syllabus of all subjects properly authenticated.
  • If you wish to enter by transfer credits to your undergraduate program, you must submit a photocopy of high school diploma degree in letter size (along with the original to confront). If the diploma was obtained abroad it must be authenticated and validated by the Ministry of Education of El Salvador.
  • If the person wishes to enter for a graduate degree by transfer credits he/she must submit the professional qualification and certification of letters of studies, both authenticated. If the degree was obtained abroad it must be authenticated and duly incorporated by the Ministry of Education in this country.

Note: If the country of origin is subscribed to the Hague Convention of 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, this university only requires that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country issues a seal on the documents to authenticate. This is a disclamer for any type of legalization they may require later. If the country of origin did not subscribe to this Convention, the documents must be authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of that country, the Consulate of El Salvador in the country and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador.

The period for application to enter the University by transfer credits is each year for the first semester from November to the first week of January, and for the second semester from the second half of May to first week of June.

The academic semesters to begin university studies begin in March (Term 01) and August (Term 02).

Returning students

This procedure is followed by the people who have been students of this university and withdrew from the University for at least one full term. If you want to re-enter to a different major from the one followed before leaving the University, you must start the process of major change.

A person, who has graduated from the University and wishes to explore a new career, can do this as a student for readmission at the beginning of each school year, always within the periods specified in the UCA academic calendar.

The period for returning students formalities for the first semester takes place each year from November to the first week of January, and for the second semester from the second half of May the first week of June.

The requirements are:

  • Completing application for readmission.
  • Paying the corresponding fees.
  • Submitting the final payment to the treasurer.
  • Submitting library solvency (requested one day in advance).

General information

In the Central Administration Building of the University you will be given the forms for each procedure, in all cases, you will be required to present two passport photographs and the payment of these fees.


A listener is every person who, without being officially enrolled at the University, is admitted by a Dean to take one or more subjects.
The students enrolled in this category are not able to receive any type of credits or grade certificates from the University.
Students must submit their application at the School and pay for the corresponding fee at the Treasury, the application will be subject to the decision of the Dean, who will assess the candidate’s reasons and space availability.

Payment system for university studies

For students in undergraduate programs, UCA has established a system of payment by differentiated fees, which consists of establishing your payment based on an assessment of the socioeconomic conditions of your household.
The quota is within a reasonable pay scale that combines both the high cost of quality higher education with the financial resources of the families of the students.
For students who join UCA in 2014, the value of tuition, per cycle, is $87.00 and monthly dues are $92.00 USD $118.00 USD, $143.00 USD, $169.00 USD, $195.00 USD, $221.00 USD, $246.00 USD, $272.00 USD and $298.00 USD. The optional fee is $322.00 per month. This last installment is also applied to those students who fail to submit an individual socioeconomic survey, the date specified. In addition, a fee for use of laboratories is paid. These rates apply only to undergraduate programs. Masters and PhD programs have different rates.

Spanish courses for foreigners

The School of Languages at UCA offers courses in Spanish. The duration of each course is 40 hours. The Spanish program is composed of nine levels, three basic, three intermediate and three advanced courses. The student may take a placement test that is administered at the time of registration. 
For the academic year 2014 each course costs $70.00, and the placement test is $4.60.

The University has no facilities on campus, but there are shelters and university residences around the campus. The approximate cost of these homes is $300.00 per month, which includes room and board.
"Only rooms" are also available within walking distance from the University. Students can find a furnished room for $150.00 to $170.00 monthly all-inclusive. Unfurnished rooms for $100.00 to $130.00 are also available.

A house of 3 or 4 bedrooms costs from $250.00 to $300.00, and can be rented by a group of people. The rent does not include utilities.

Most sites charge $5.00 for washing clothes (15 pieces).

Food, bottled water and cleaning supplies
Depending on the type of diet, students spend from $150.00 to $200.00 per month per person.

For more information, please contact:

Admisiones UCA

David Reyes
Transfer Admissions  

Or write:
Universidad Centroamericana "José Simeón Cañas"
General Secretary PO (01) 168
San Salvador, El Salvador

Universidad Centroamericana José Simeón Cañas
Dirección de Comunicaciones
Bulevar Los Próceres, Antiguo Cuscatlán, La Libertad, El Salvador, Centroamérica
(503) 2210-6600 •